How to calculate load Bearing capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremechanical

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2009
CA
Hi,

I have a pump to be lifted which has no lugs to fit a hook. The pump weight is 1.4 tons. I have a hoist capacity 2 tons.

In order to lift the pump in absence of lug on the pump, pump flange is fitted with two Iron angles ( the pump size is rectangle so one angle each side is bolted to pump flange so that pump is lifted without any imbalance) bolted to the flange by two holes.

The angle is 4 inch X 4 inch and length is 2 feet and thkness is 0.5 inch.

Can any one tell if this is safe? could any one give a sample calculation please

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For general lifting apparatus design, the ASME BTH standard (BTH = Below The Hook) is fairly useful.

As to whether the pump flange is adequate for lifting the pump like that, that would be a question for the manufacturer.

From your description, it sounds like you'd have some prying action going on at the flange face, and using a flat plate or something instead of angles would help if that were an issue.

Usually manufacturers do provide a description in their maintenance manual that comes with the pump of how it is to be lifted. Without any lifting brackets, I strongly expect that they were thinking using a slinge(s), and maybe a small spreader, but the manual would answer tha, assuming you have one.

I would start there rather than gerry-rigging something with the strong possibility of damaging the mounting holes of the flange brackets. Just a thought.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Maybe a couple of choker slings.... Does it have a mounting bracket?? Maybe those are the angles you speak of.. 4x4 x 1/2 is pretty stout esp if you grab it close to where it meets the pump. IF you can't get any help from the mfg try a couple of chokers and keep the pump very low to the ground until you feel comfortable that it will hold. Or get an expert rigger to help you.

But please ask the mfg first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back