Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to calculate pipe temperature during relief?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmp28

Chemical
Jul 14, 2003
GB
Hello All,

I'm trying to estimate the time taken to heat up the releif valve discharge pipe to the relief temperature from the upstream PSV.

The pipe in question is a 12" uninsulated 150# CS pipe with relief temperature of 372 degC. The ambient temperature is 30degC and and wind velocity is 10 m/s. Please would you direct me to the right formulas to use or a source where I can find more information.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have to establish a heat balance - if you want to do it in details.

You should take a look at the article from Hydrocarbon Processing july 2004: Material selection for low temperature applications ( S. Kumar et. al.) They describe how to estimate wall temp and select materials.

Best regards

Morten

Dear JoeTank,
I have seen the original article and you better be prepared for some good math and ExCEL with VB. The article is for cold cryogenic gas discharge whreras your case is for hot gas discharge( it appears). It also refers to API 579. The author can be contacted at k.sunil@telstra.com
Bbest wishes

The math would be the same disregarding the fact that this is a hot gas. The material selection guide thats a nice frationc of the article will however be fairly useless :)

About a copy: Why dont you try a local (technical) library if you dont have the magazine?

I dont have a "swap place" set up already...

Will try and see what i can do.

Best regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back