Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to calculate required storage volume with EPA SWMM 5.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesoo

Civil/Environmental
Sep 17, 2019
US
Good day professionals,

Please, I want to model storm detention tank in EPA SWMM5.1, the project area is approximately 32 hectare, I need to know how much storage volume is required, given the permissible release rate of 83 l/s/ha.
Anticipating your help, and its highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I recommend the hydrograph method: Take your inflow hydrograph and draw a straight line from the start of your storm to the allowable outflow. The area above this line and below the upper portion of the hydrograph is the approximate volume required to meet your outfall flow rate.

To be clear, if you're doing the method gbam suggests, you start at zero and draw a line up and to the right at an angle, intersecting with the point at which the receeding limb of the proposed hydrograph equals the target outflow. Also to be clear, this is an estimate. To get your actual storage volume will require designing a pond and outlet works that matches what you want, and then routing the proposed hydrograph through that pond.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back