Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to calculate salt content in PTB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp3d2

Chemical
Nov 30, 2009
MY
Hi everyone.

Which methods are correct to determine salt content in PTB (pounds per thousand barrel)?

I have done a test to determine the value of Chloride for Crude oil entering Desalter using Mercury Nitrate titration method. The value of Chloride is 10 ppm.

My laboratory method to determine salt content (ptb) is 10 ppm Chloride x 1.65 divide by 2.853 which yield 5.78 ptb.

However, when i check Oilfield Processing of Petroleum - Volume 2 - Manning & Thompson book, the equation use is very different. I need to put BS&W value. The equation is
PTB.png

Assuming BS&W in = 0.5 vol%, SG = 1.02 and Chloride ppm = 10 ppm, therefore the value would be 0.018 ptb.

Which one of these equations are correct to determine salt content in PTB? I your guidance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without addressing the posted question, since I don't have the M&T book, it is apparent to me that if ppm is given on a weight basis, such as mg/kg, the crude density plays a role. For example, for a density of 0.839 g/L, 1 ptb [≈] 3.4 ppm.

If ppm is given on a weight per volume basis, such as mg/L, then the conversion would be: 1 ptb [≈] 2.85 ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back