Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to calculate stress in beam with varied section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry26

Automotive
Oct 13, 2014
BR
Hello guys,

Recently I've tried to calculate a beam with varied section. In FEA it's really simple, but by hand it isn't.
I've tried to use the Theory like below:

σ=(M*y)/I

This calculation works very well with linear beam, but when it's varied it doesn't work.
Somebody could help me explaining how could I calculate this beam by hand?
In FEA, I just fix one side and applied a load in other side.

Follow attached a picture with FEA calculation in a beam with varied section:

Beam_ufkg7j.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Henry.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This isn't really a "by hand" calculation. Not that it can't be done....

Why don't you just find your critical cross-section and work from there?

Henry,
looking at the proportions of the FEA model you showed I suspect the theory doesn't match for few possible reasons:

1, Not a slender beam. Formula σ=(M*y)/I is valid only for fairly slender beams
2, The section variation is too quick along the axis. Meaning that the transmission phase from one section to another affects the outcome more than the section "straight" section.
3, Related no 1. Section is too narrow. I understand the bending is around Y axis.

Can't tell from the picture but I take it the section profile is a rectangle (no rounds or anything that would make it a non-flat beam)
It is also difficult to say whether your verification model in ANSYS was corresponding to your hand calculation.

If you indeed need to analyze section like the one shown AND not too very frequently. I recommend sticking with FEA to save yourself a hassle. If it would be still a frequent matter, then APDL scripts might help with automation. Otherwise you need to deal with some of the problems when doing hand calculation.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back