Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to calculate the dynamic modulus from cyclic compressive indentation test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepantafa

Bioengineer
Aug 29, 2012
NL
Hi Everyone,

I am working with cartilage and I have performed a dynamic test by simply applying 20 sinusoidal cycles of compressive strain with constant amplitude which results in a same sinusoidal form of stress response with a phase lag. The software gives me the Time, Displacement of the top indenter, and the load cell force output. I want to calculate the dynamic viscoelastic parameters, e.g. Elastic modulus, Loss modulus, Dynamic Complex modulus. I start by calculating the phase lag which is the time difference between the strain and stress peak values of each cycle.

As we know the cartilage has viscoelastic properties. So, if you plot stress Vs. Time you will see the stress peak values are decaying by the increase of cycles until it reaches to a steady state after almost 10-15 cycles in my case.

Now my question is that should I calculate the viscoelastic parameters of each cycle separately and then take an average of all 20 cycles? Or should I consider only the steady state cycles? In other words, what is "σ0" in σ (t) = σ0 sin (ωt + δ) ? Is it the peak stress of each cycle, meaning that for instance, I have to calculate 20 Elastic modulus values and take the average? Or is it just the peak stress values for the steady state cycles (in my case after 10 cycles I get the stead state condition) and I only need to take an average of the steady state cycles?

I hope I've explained it clear enough.
I appreciate your help in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

About getting a book on vibration and read the chapters on sinusoidal responses and decayed(sub critical, critical, over critical) damping and see if the related analysis may give you a clue into your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back