Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to calculate vaccum performed by a centrifugal pump in sucction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

villaflora

Chemical
Aug 18, 2010
US

A centrifugal pump (not a vaccum pump) when fully filled with liquid is able to produce a certain negative pressure (vaccuum) at succion line. How can I determine this vaccum?

If the succion line is connected to a tank with no vent line, and the pump is turn on it's possible to collapse the tank.
Again: how can I calculate the vaccum exerted over the tank?

The pump's head is 60m (flow rate = 45 m3/h).

I hope you understand my question...
Thanks a lot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would agree, without having any definite information on the particular pump use the above info as the safest option.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

I would look for some data-sheets on your pump in question, this should be all cataloged information from your supplier. Surely the pump is rated to a certain specification? Suction line pressure is also going to be variant depending on how you have your fluid transfer lines installed, size of tank, amount of product etc... I would start by trying to spec up your pump first, then look at the pipe runs and suction feed with regards to tanks and weights.

You pour it - we'll pump it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back