Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change a part but keep the UUID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0g0

Aerospace
Aug 21, 2012
DE
I need some advices…
I changed some parts, the old ones were symmetrical, but I created another parts by scratch and now I have a conflict with UUID so I need to use the .catproduct from the old part (with the correct UUID) with the new geometry created by me.
I know that I cannot access UUID, change it…, but I was wondering maybe you can help me with this problem.
How is the quickest way to do it?

Thanks you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you could use "save-as" with the "create new" box unchecked. This will effectively copy the part without changing the UUID. Now you can delete everything in the part so you just have a shell file remaining that has the correct UUID. Now you should be able to copy all of the information from your newly created part to this shell part using copy/paste. That should give you the geometry that you way in the UUID shell that you want.

CATIA V5 R20
PC-DMIS 2011 MR1

Thanks DaSalo,

It's not working like that.
The new part that I created is machined part, made with Boolean operations, so I have more parts bodies inside , which is an assembly.
When I copy/paste, I get everything mixed up, all the sketched I have to reposition and I have a lot of conflicts (“this feature involved in an update circle” or something like that).

Thanks

a snippet from CATIA-documentation:
In the "Save As" dialog box, specify the location of the document to be saved as well as its name and type.The Save as new document check box lets you save an existing document under a new name but with a new UUID (Unique Universal IDentifier).
This option is effective only when the document is saved in its native format, i.e. when the document type (displayed in the Save as type box) has not been modified. Otherwise, this option is ineffective.

regards,
LWolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back