Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

how to check if my lapack,cbas lib support long double type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olinn

Materials
Oct 26, 2005
US
I'm using Debian Lenny. I want to know how I can check if my lapack,cbas lib support long double type.

If these libs don't support long double. I need to download the source and re-compile them with long-double option. If I do this, do the compiled new libs overwrite the old libs (which don't support long double)? Will this cause problem for other depdent programs that don't need long double?

Thank you very much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

olinn,

Can you construct a math problem whose results are affected by long double precision?

If you are compiling libraries, you want to back up the old libraries before installing the new ones. The worst case is that you will have to re-install Linux. You have the DVD. There are no licensing issues. You will have wasted one evening. Horrors!

Critter.gif
JHG

Thanks for the comments. I am using an open-source 2D semiconductor device (such as CMOS) simulator. It basically solves a system of three non-linear differential equations. I constantly met non-convergence problems. The author suggests to use all relevant libs (e.g. lapack, blas, petsc) double supporting long double type for better convergence. But I'm afraid that if I re-compile these libs with long double support, they'll over-write the original ones and mess up other programs depending on them. I never used the long double libs, according to your commment, so they do have same name as the double ones, and could cause trouble for other programs, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back