HOW TO COMPRESS LAMINATE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oluwakay

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2022
PL
Hello there,
Thank you for always helping. I've got a question. I have successfully created a fabric layer in Abaqus. In order to obtain certain number of plies, I used a linear pattern option. My question is, how do i compact these layers into the thickness I want? Let say my composite laminate is 6 mm thick and I would like to embed these layered fabrics into the matrix (this is the goal). How do I compact the plies from assembly to fit into the assumed thickness (6 mm)?

Thank you again!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you really have to model the plies as separate parts ? In most cases, laminates are modeled in Abaqus using composite shell or solid sections where you can use the layup editor to assign any number of plies with different regions, materials, thicknesses and orientations.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I would like to model the laminate from the meso-level (from the yarn). That is why I would like to compress the plies to my desired thickness.

I was thinking about simulating compression of the plies to get the stresses, strains and displacements. In Assembly there are only tools for geometric operations like in CAD software so you can position the parts.

Thank you again. Okay, if I compress the plate, how do I start another model using the result of the compression test as a part on its own? I mean if it will be possible to compress and then make it a part for tye subsequent simulation, it will be easier for me to embed it in the matrix.

You can use File —> Import —> Part and choose odb file from a previous analysis. Then it’s also possible to import the material state using a predefined field of the initial state type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back