Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

how to connect to 2 SEL700G relays simultaneously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanimlat

Electrical
May 29, 2018
IL
I want to connect to 2 SEL700G relays at the same time to monitor their readings online.
I can't seem to be able to open 2 instances of the quickset software.
any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How are you connecting? Serial, ethernet? I have a PC card for my laptop that has multiple serial ports. I can open SEL on one port and hyperterminal (or other terminal emulator) on another port. I'm guessing the same could work if you had a native ethernet port and then perhaps a USB to ethernet port if you wanted to go that way. If using RS-485, I believe you could daisy chain the connections and do it that way as well.

This was a common problem years ago when relay test sets used a serial port to communicate with test software and the relay did as well. I use the 2 serial port method when talking to an RTU and SEL often for metering checks / scaling. My PCMCIA card is sold by BB Electronics. I believe it was less than $100. SEL offers a serial to bluetooth device that you could also use on one of the relays and direct serial on the other.

SEL Quickset doesn't allow you to open multiple instances at the same time. If you can do the monitoring via terminal then you could open multiple instances of terminal or PuTTY to do this. The other option would be to create a virtual machine with Windows and SEL Quickset installed on it using VirtualBox or similar. You could make a copy and open multiple virtual machines. However, this requires a separate MS windows license and might be overly complicated when setting up networking and attaching physical serial ports to different virtual machines.

Put together triggers and download their oscillography and compare.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.

thanks for the answers!
I like the idea of using the terminal.
I read through the manual of SEL700G but couldn't find a command that shows the voltage/current/frequency etc. readings

"MET" is the universal (sort of) command for obtaining all the meter data you are interested in. You need level 1 access (Password) to enter the command. In the back of each SEL manual is a listing of all the available commands (blue paper).

MET 1000 should read the metering data 1000 times before stopping. I think you can use ctrl-c to escape from it early.
Here are all of the metering commands
700g_metering_xypejj.png

The MET command should display something like this:
met_command_esqw1s.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back