Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to cool a room open to outside temperatures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

illuzionb18c1

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2010
US
If I have a Oven Room (110 sqft) with one louver for exhausting air with a propellar fan and one louver for pulling in outside air.

What method do I use to size the fan (CFM-wise) in order to maintain my oven room to equal outdoor temperatures?

Lets just assume I'm generating 20000 btu/h from the ovens into the space and say outdoor temps are 85 degrees.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

> You will never achieve "oven room to equal outdoor temperatures" since that's thermodynamically impossible, but you could get close. Realistically you might get to say 5° above external temp, but you'd probably need close to gale force winds in your room if you don't actively cool the inlet air.

But, you can do the math: area*heat_transfer_coefficient*delta_temperature = heating rate

The HTC will be a slow function of the airflow across the oven.

Without some

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Basic sensible heat equation for ventilation removal of heat load is

q = 1.1 x cfm x (To - Ti)

q is heat load in btu/hr
cfm is airflow cfm
Ti is the entering air temperature that you are bringing in.
To is the exhaust air tempreature.

The net result is that the closer you want to maintain the 'oven' temp to outdoor temp the more cfm it requires.

If there is a need for cooling, adiabatic cooling might be a solution (not knowing what your process is).

to tie it all together, a 5 deg temp difference would be 3,636 CFM. That is 33 CFM/Sqft. Sounds like gale force to me. You might want to add some cooling or try to vent the oven outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back