Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create AVI files 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESOH

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2003
GB
Hello everyone,

I want to export my assembly animation sequence from IDEAS9 to an AVI or MPEG file format.

Is there anyway to do this?

I am not running IDEAS on a Silicon Graphics machine so the movie option is disabled. I have also tried exporting the assembly to Unigraphics but seem to lose all data with regards to configurations and sequences when exporting via the .xpk file format?

Many thanks to all!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just know that you can create AVI file on an Unix Graphic Workstation,this feature "Create AVI File" it's not supported on PCs.

yeah according to EDS the feature is only enabled on silicon graphics workstations. however i have found a website which offers a program that can create photorealistic animation sequences in a variety of formats.
quite good, only downside is that all configuration/sequence data is lost during the export.

Hi ESOH,
Goto the web site Download a software called Snagit, this is basically a screen capture software, it can capture images as well as videos. Install it on your computer (most probably will be a trial version but will be free for a while) It does not care what you are animating on the screen, it can capture anything. So, animate your assembly in IDEAS, then fire Snagit, then select the video capture feature, you can play with all the settings until you are satisfied, then you can drag a window around the corners of the animation and then once you ask it to stop it will automatically bring up a window with the movie as an avi file or mpeg file, and there will be options to save the file. If you like it, you might even want to purchase it at a small cost. Hope that helps. Sunny.

Thank you very much for your help.
Prior to this i have experimented with a variety of formats even exporting to Unigraphics because it has a movie creation option. However a downside of I-DEAS-Unigraphics export is that all animation data is lost, so no help there either.
The method you describe sounds great. cheers for the tip.
ESoh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back