Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to create cell library using dwg blocks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecfly

Electrical
Aug 20, 2006
AU
I usually draw using AutoCad but now have client who wants drawings in microstation v8 format. So I'm gonna start drawing in microstation but want to use AutoCad blocks. Is there a way to create a cell library using my AutoCad blocks? If so whats the easiest way, have got alot of blocks to use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

elecfly,
There are no easy ways of doing what you want. Ask your client to see if they have a cell library you can get a copy of. Or, take and open each block and create a cell library of your own they are very easy to make. If you have any questions let us know.
Regards,
Namdac

Hi,

You can do you're drawing in Autocad, finish and and save the drawing as a dxf or dwg file. Then open MicroStation and open the dwg or dxf file.
In MicroStation you save the drawing as DGN-file and you are finished !!

cttnas,
actually if you have V8 you can open and save as a dwg file. It is way cool, you can save all the way to version 11. What you then need to do is to create a cell library, Go to the tool bar Element>Cells>File>New. Name it to something that will be easy for you and the people you work with. Select the cell origin in the main tool pallette, Fence the object, click on the create button in the cell library dialog box. Then fill out the description information, and presto you have made a cell.
any questions let me know.
Regards,
Namdac

I came across the same issue since I was in a similar position. I found a mdl application to use that took all of my 285 blocks and created a cell library out of them. (I am assuming that you used the wblock command and these blocks are now .dwg files)

here is a link to download the zip file that contains the mdl files and instructions.

Thanks, man does this thing fly. I took a Surveyor's Block Library (Which I created) He still thinks he did. Anyhow, It worked real slick.
I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.
Regards,
Namdac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back