Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create dogleg dimension? (NX5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To add it after the fact:

Inset > symbol > user defined symbol > on top switch to "utility directory > pick either "break15" or "break30" > in the four icons below pick the left one (add to drafting object) > pick the drafting object > pick exactly where on the object that you want it > cancel

Oh, i see, i am sorry
If there is a way to do it I would like to know.

What I have done in your situation is make sure the extention lines are dimensioned to the base of the groove and then change the angle of the dimension
dimension style > line arrow > "F" change to what looks best
I also tweak the "H" and "J" values so the gap is very small and it is very clear where the dimension is going to

I hope someone else has a better answer

I have never seen that kind of dimensioning technique supported by any standard that I'm aware of. Which may serve only to prove that I've better things to do than read the obscure minutae of drafing standards, so I could be wrong.

I have attached what is supported by NX, which is an offset dimension created by adjusting the F value of the Line Arrow Tab under the dimesion Style settings. Personally I think this is as good and possibly as clear as you'd ever need to be.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f94adbdf-7335-4cc7-adc1-cb50054fd44f&file=offset_dimension.pdf
I understand you can do dogleg dimensions using the 'ordinate' dimensions feature. (Insert > Dimension > Ordinate)
This may not, however, suit the 'house style'for your drawings.

I used to follow your approach with a previous employer but it does mean that the dimension doesn't stay associative to the feature. But aside from following appropriate drawing standards, the main thing is that it should be clear an unambiguous.

Hudsons approach is cool too ... I'll have to remember that one!

To maintain associativity, I have constructed doglegs that return to the original dimension location, then add a gap to the extension lines to meet the end of the dogleg.
It's a PITA (creating 6 curves), but it works and leaves a clean dimension.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back