How to create dynamic Link to Excel? - Novice User

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamrak

Computer
Dec 8, 2004
US
Hello,

I have Microsoft Project Table that contains several fields in there. I would like to link this table into a spreadsheet in Excel.

My purpose is to create Dynamic link. If the rows have been added or updated in the Project, the Excel Spreadsheet will also update that information.

I used the Help Menu from Excel but it was too convoluted and was difficult to understand. I do appreciate a step by step guide from a novice user.

What I have done so far was I was able to import the Project Table into my Excel sheet. I am unsure whether that information is static or dynamic. I am concerned that I might lose that information if I accidentally delete the cells on the spreadsheet.

Thank you again.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tamrak,

RFCZ has the right solution--Copy and "Paste Special" the MS Project items you want to track into corresponding Excel cells. When you see the Paste Special dialog box, check the Preserve Excel Formatting option so you don't have to reformat after pasting, unless you want to format after you've linked the data.

Yes, this is tedious but you only need to do it at the beginning.

If you move either the Project or the Excel documents, you can relink from the Excel document under the Edit > Links function. I've also experienced an occasional cell losing it's link, so you might have to repaste those.

You can Copy and Special Paste ranges of items from Project to Excel, but you can't manipulate the formatting in Excel within the array, such as inserting or moving lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back