Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create individual node and assigned element for the node in ansys apdl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexa2016

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2016
MY
hi,

how to create node and element correctly in ansys apdl?

i have tried as shown below; eg; node number of 2e6.
real,1
et,1,solid185
type,1
mat,1
n,2e6,50,30,0
e,2e6
but i got error as attached?

getfile.aspx

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The solid185 element is a 3D element with 8 nodes. One needs to define 8 nodes (you have only one defined in your code). When you define the element (e command), there needs to be a specific node order in which you define the nodes. For more information look this element up in the ansys help.

Below is an example of how this element could be defined in apdl:
Code:
/prep7
real,1
et,1,solid185
type,1
mat,1
n,1,0,0,0
n,2,1,0,0
n,3,1,1,0
n,4,0,1,0
n,5,0,0,1
n,6,1,0,1
n,7,1,1,1
n,8,0,1,1
e,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

thanks erik for reply,

in the case, i want to create several individual nodes on solid surface which meshed using solid185 at specific location...some individual nodes required at specific location which maybe at the specific location, no node (due to solid185 mesh) is vailable to be selected. Thats why i want to create separate nodes.

in previous post, in the case of your script, this means i need to create 8 nodes for each individual nodes that I am interested. I have four individual nodes that i need to use in my analysis at specific location, this means i need to create 32 nodes in the case of using solid185. Or is it ok for me to use 4 nodes 2d elements?

Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=589162d9-6283-4ff5-84d8-a0b88a8513f4&file=2018-11-12_18h49_23.png
Not sure what you want to do, but you can define the element nodes at the exact locations you need (say location of 1,2, 3, 4 as in the image), and then use these nodes when defining the elements, because a node cannot be free on its own, it needs to belong to an element or to be connected to an element in some way (e.g., using links or beams in the case of applying offset non structural mass to structures as slabs, representing perhaps machinery mass).

As for the elements it depends if you are analysing something thick (with through thickness stress variation) in 3D space or something thin (shell/plate), or if the analysis is 2D (then use perhaps 2D elements, such as e.g., plane stress, or strain elements,..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back