Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to decide if uplift is okay on raft foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grendizer

Civil/Environmental
May 12, 2016
LB
Dear all,

How to decide if uplift is okay on raft foundation

I searched many rules, like IBC for this question, and i didn't find anything.
Shall we look at bearing capacity of the soil being exceeded?
Shall we look at upwards settlement?
Shall we look at percentage of area being lifted up?

Please enlighten me.

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By not clearly saying what your project is all about and not giving pertinent details, there is no way you can expect useful comments here. Please provide some details, such as soil type area, typical soil profile, elevations of ground surfce and raft, ground water elevation, approx size of foundation and building type with loads.
Why the uplift and from what source?

its all relative...is it a road subgrade over expansive soil? Or it a high structure that has high wi paso g that's causing overturning and uplift? Etc

Unless you have some overburden to hold the raft foundation down, no amount of uplift is OK. We don't assume there is cohesion between the bottom of the raft foundation and the soil it is supported on.

DaveAtkins

It is purely a theoretical question,
but my mind goes into a mid rise building under wind load, on marl (clay with limestone dust), typical in my country, with a deep water table (no effect)

10 story building, narrow base, say 15 m x 15 m

Thanks for your replies

If study is made with SAFE, can i accept some locally pressures above alloable pressure?
If study is made with Plaxis, can i accept some local plastification zones?

I remember reading clearly that some plastification is unavoidable...
If you want I can search that reading in my collection of documents.

OP said:
But my mind goes into a mid rise building under wind load, on marl (clay with limestone dust), typical in my country

I do this all the time for transient loads like wind and earthquake. As far as I can tell, there's no other economical way to make some of these things work in a shallow foundation scheme. If I had uplift under permanent loading, I'd be concerned and would, at minimum, want to perform a very detailed study of settlement.

OP said:
If study is made with SAFE, can i accept some locally pressures above alloable pressure?

I do this regularly as well. I ask the geotechical consultant for permission to do this and invariably get it. Usually a true soil shear failure does not govern and you're only interested in settlement. And the settlement that you're interested in is at the column/shaft center for the most part. As such, an average soil stress not exceeding maximum is often appropriate.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back