Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW TO DELETE A LAYER 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJS

Civil/Environmental
Jun 8, 2001
US
I HAVE SOME LAYERS IN A DRAWING THAT I WOULD LIKE TO DELETE, THEY ARE NOT X-REF,DEF,OR CURRENT LAYER AND HAVE NOTHING ON THEM. BUT WHEN I TRY IT JUST WONT WORK.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use the PURGE command. If it won't work, you still have something somewhere on that layer.
The easiest way to get around that, is turn off every layer except the one you want to delete. Then ERASE ALL. Everything on that layer is now definitly deleted, and purge should then work.

If you have A2K (Autocad 2000) or above, inside the express toolbar, under layers, there is a command called layer delete that will delete any layer under any circumstances. After you have selected layer delete, enter "t" for type it >, then just enter the name of the layer > "y" to accept it, and your done.
Hope this helps

WHERE WOULD ONE FIND THE EXPRESS TOOLBAR ON 2000i
OR IS THAT SOME OTHER PART THAT SHOULD BEEN INCLUDED THAT YOU HAVE TO PURCHASE

Pardon my blunder it's not a toolbar but, a menu item.
The express menu should be part fo the standard AK2i packaage. If the menu express is not listed at the top of your screen this is how you load it. Under the tools menu select customize menu > select the menu groups tab at the top of the dialog box, select browse, locate where acad is installed, should be under program files/autocad2000i, navigate from there to the express folder and double click the folder. Next select the file *.mns file(not sure of the prefix but, should be the only .mns file). Open the file, which should bring you back to the dialog box, now select load then close the dialog. The express menu should now be available. I am using A2K but should be the same for A2Ki.

cadkid says, "I am using A2K but should be the same for A2Ki." I agree that it should be; however, Autodesk didn't see it that way, and thus it isn't the same. You've got to buy Express Tools separately for A2Ki.

Another idea is to make sure that you haven't defined a block using the layer you're trying to delete. If you have, you'll have to redefine the block, changing any of its objects on said layer to another layer. Or, if you're not actually using such a block definition, then you can purge it from the drawing. The layer should then be purgeable as well.

As a test, you can WBLOCK the drawing to another name and see if that gets rid of the layer. If it doesn't, then you probably have an object, even a block as described above still using that layer.

Another thing that can make unused layers unable to be deleted or purged is when they have been frozen in paperspace viewports. A slow solution is to go into each viewport and unfreeze them.

go to manusoft.com. download the shareware version of superpurge. do a hard purge on the layer you want gone. if there's something on the layer. it'll just delete it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back