Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Delete Members of Sketches already used in Features? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkwing

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2004
TR
Suppose we have created a rectangle in sketcher and then extruded the sketch.

Afterwards, when we double click on the sketch of the extrusion to edit and want to delete ie the top line and replace it with two angled lines making something like a roof shape, UG NX2 says I cant delete the line.

I tried to draw the 2 replacement lines and then delete the top line afterwards with no effect. It says that operation is not supoorted.

I cant belive it is not possible to delete the members of a sketch that's used in a feature. In Mechanical Desktop, I can change whatever I want and then "resolve" the sketch and the feature updates itself.

Anybody knows how to do this in UG??

Best Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is what I do. Make the sketch your current feature, leaving the extrude "not created". Create your two new in the sketch. Then make the extrude your current feature, it will fail but on the edit window pick edit parameters and edit out the line you don't want and add the two you do.

If there is a better way the other guys in the forum will let you and me know. I wouldn't mind an easier way.

Ross.

You cannot delete your top line because the extrude needs it to exist. You must first replace it with the new lines, then you can delete the old line.
As with most things UG, there are several ways to do this.

I think you have the right idea rossly.

Here's how I would approach it: create the new lines, suppress the extrude (and it's children), add the new lines to your sketch, edit the extrude parameters to remove the old unwanted lines and add the new lines, unsuppress the extrude (and it's children).

It doesn't always have to be done in that order, depending on how the extrusion was initially created (i.e. extruded sketch or extruded curves from a sketch).

Here is a another way to do it. Make the sketch active add the lines that you want to replce. Then go to Edit -> Edit defining string and deslect the lines that you do not want (shift pick). Then pick the lines that you do want. click ok. exit sketch. re enter sketch and delete the lines that you are no longer using.

Jeremy

CATIA "Cuss And Try It Again" I find that this works most of the time.

Drkwing,
There are numerous ways of accomplishing the same thing, as with most 'thingies' in UG. The crux is edit the defining string of the extrusion and remove the unwanted curve(s) so you can add the curve(s) you want.
What I normally do is make the sketch my current work feature, edit the sketch to add and constrain the new line(s) wanted. Then, click on the icon for "edit the defining string" (located in the 'sketch operation' toolbar). Remove the unwanted lines and add the new lines. When your here, a list of feature(s) dependent on the sketch will appear and you can cycle through them all editing them as necessary.
At this point your just about done... Using the model navigator, make the extrusion you initially wanted to edit your current work feature and let it update. There shouldn't be any errors, but if there are then fix them at this time. Set your last feature your current work feature and let the file update, accepting (and not suppressing or deleting) any blends that freak out.
You can easily edit the blends to update without having to delete/recreate them. If a blend goes out of date, edit it and enter the blend dialogue box. You should see the original edges selected highlight with the system color, and you can <shift> pick (aka de-select) the original edges and re-select the new edges.
Clear as mud?

SS

I am here with my way!!

In the sketch create the new curves whichever u want and then edit the extrude, by replacing the string. All the curves which is used for extrution will be highlighted. Now hold shift key and then de-highlight the unwanted and pick the new curves which u added. Then the extrude will get updated with the new curves. Finally u can constrain the new curves in the sketch mode..

Kish

This always works for me:

Find the "remove parameters" tool button ( not sure where it is, it might be under edit pulldown ). click it, window in all your lines and the feature you created, you may even need to go back to your original sketch, and "enter".
They are no longer "tied" to one another. I always remove parameters on everyting I create. I rarely need it.(but don't do this if you need the parameters of the feature).

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back