Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to determine max allowable strain hardening for 2024-T3 Al? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LocutusScientific

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2023
US
I am considering a bending operation for a thick (3/4") aluminum plate. It looks like the plate will undergo approximately 3% strain on the convex side of the bend. How can I determine what an acceptable amount of strain is that will not damage the part, but only work harden it? To me this maximum allowable strain during the bending operation should be based on the published percent elongation for the material, but I haven't been able to find any references for this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the required bend radius and what is the bend-angle?

This is why an extruded angle of the exact thickness/angle/lengths/etc to meet requirements is often better than formed thick parts. Next best is hog-out from Bar stock,... then AHT to -T81 [which is far-less SCC/EXCO prone than -T3 or -T4].

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

How did you get/calculate strain? fixing the bend angle, the bend strain is proportional to the thickness of the plate, and inversely proportional to the bend radius. nevertheless assuming 3% does not count "springback", so you bend was beyond the yield strength, and the material mechanical characteristics got changed (e.g some degree of hardening). However, the elongation of this material is about 20%, it is unlikely 3% strain will "damage" (how do you define damage?) the part. A general easy method is careful check the convex port for any cracking, orange peel, any abnormal. you could increase bend angle until cracking occurs to get a sense how easy is the material get "damaged". You could also examine the micros for micro cracks etc. if you donot trust human eyes.

Percent elongation of a tensile test sample may not be best source. One needs a "True" stress-strain curve.
i.e. when a material reaches the Ultimate tensile stress, localized "necking" begins and invalidates the
true stress- true strain values after the ultimate is reached. Elongation includes the extensometer deformation
past the strain at ultimate. In a bending case the high strained surfaces are constrained by the lower strained
material below the surface, so necking probably won't be seen, thus the true stress-strain curves should
be ok. There is one available online for 2023-T3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back