Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to determine the environmental loads for a CubeSat based on the launcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ionut Cosmin

Aerospace
Jul 22, 2016
RO
Hi everyone,

I am trying to understand how to properly evaluate the environmental loads (accelerations, lateral and axial frequency limit, sine vibration profile, random vibration profile, shock, etc) that will need to be used in the structural analysis and validation of a CubeSat based on a launcher.

I have a 12U CubeSat (30kg mass) that will be launched on the Falcon 9. Is it safe to assume the values for environmental loads given in the Payload User Manual from Falcon 9, or do I need to take into consideration some other factors, such as the launcher adapter or the interface with the rocket?

Has anyone done this before, can give some recommendation? I want to understand how it is usually done? also, if you know some books, papers, technical articles I can read about this subject.

Thank you very much,
Cosmin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, it has been done many times before, probably for every payload ever launched.

You need to start with the loads from the Payload manual, but you need to determine exactly where those are derived for - at the payload mount? At the top of the final stage? it should be defined in the manual. If not, call SpaceX and ask them.

Once you determine where the loads are defined, you need to determine what structure, if any, is between the point of loads definition and your payload. Then you need to model all that structure, plus your payload and analyze the loading conditions.

do a search on scholar.google.com for relevant papers or reports.

yeah, Falcon 9 launch spec

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back