Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to do a search in windchill assemblies using a macro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Znjmech

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2016
IT
Hi all

I am working with Creo 2 and as one of the first jobs. We need to have a list of all the existing parts and assemblies in our windchill. Since there's a huge amount of files. I'd like to know whether it's possible t to do that within a macro, to read the files from windchill and list the files in another file like excel.

Has anyone done this?

I have seen this question but I didn't understand what they are saying

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't even try that from with Creo, even using your workspace.
If you want a list of files in Windchill, use a normal web browser to look at the Windchill data. You can do a search and then export the results to Excel. Windchill will limit your search to 2000 items per page by default.
Overall, that is a suicide search because of the number of hits it will return, especially if your company has been using Windchill for a while. A wildcard search here would be approaching 1 million files returned! We have been on Windchill for 8 years and only have 1 product. I have worked at other companies where we had Windchill folders and or contexts for different groups.

WHY do you need to create a list of all files in Windchill?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thank you very much for your answer

what did you mean by " that is a suicide search because of the number of hits it will return" ?

I was willing to open the files one by one and read the relevant information from the files directly

The tables in Windchill can be examined for this information. The Admin for your system should have enough SQL experience to get the desired information directly from the Windchill tables.

The list returned will be too large to view/manipulate.

Ben Loosli

It will depend on how many files you have in Windchill. For me, it would be over 1,000,000!

Your best method to get a listing of all files in Windchill and their relationships is to hire someone who knows SQL and have them write some scripts to extract the information directly from the DB.

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back