Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to do Inner tube swagging in rubber molded bush?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechOEngg

Automotive
May 11, 2014
IN
Hello everyone,

I am working in NVH industry as project manager. Few days back our sales department have received RFQ for control arm bush.Customer has asked for inner metal/inner dia swagging as well as outer metal/outer dia swagging. We do have expertise in outer metal or outer dia swagging but inner dia swagging is new concept to us.So can somebody tell me how inner tube swagging can be done in molded bush.And what could be cost related to its setup.

v30u1c.png

This is swagged part. Actual inner dia is 10.5mm and outer dia is 51.5mm

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd look at ramming a hardened steel ball through the inner to expand it by 2mm.

Incidentally the English is swaging not swagging.

(For anybody not familiar with bushes the idea is to induce permanent compression in the rubber so it never works in tension and so can't tear. You do this by plastically deforming the metal sleeves, known as inner and outer metals, usually. In this case the intermediate rate tube prevents the inner rubber from being compressed by the swaging op on the outer metal. The rate tube is there to improve the ratio of radial to axial rate)

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

"I'd look at ramming a hardened steel ball through the inner to expand it by 2mm."

I feel inner tube can damage by this process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back