Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to draw environmental zones/areas for an Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj Giri

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2017
DE
I am working as an Intern in a company and I have a STEP and a JT file of entire assembly of a airliner.
My first task is to import this file into NX (which is easy). I need to have a big cube inside which this assembly sits. This cube is divided into different small cubes of same size (For example, 5x5x5m). Each cube is used to define an environmental area such as exposure to fuel, high temperature zone, etc. These cubes can be represented in different colours.
My question is, how do I design these cubes and use it to represent different environmental areas of the airliner? I also need to make sure the airliner is aligned in the cube first.

I discovered the 'Zones' in Advanced Assemblies but how do I edit those zones even further than just changing the dimensions. Can i also group all the components in one Zone using 'Component Group' from the Tools section.

PS- The picture shows what I mean by environmental zones.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8906fd6a-0120-4fb3-9d6b-48e98e0f3910&file=AERO_2012q4-4_fig9.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest trying forum561 for a better response on NX usage.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

I think these also apply for interns :)

rules_jz9oqo.png

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX11 / TC11

I don't think those prohibitions apply to an intern doing real-world work. However, it would be best to ask your sponsor as to how to accomplish the task and/or how they want it done, I doubt that they would give an intern a new, mission critical task that has never been attempted before...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back