How to Draw Transformer BIL/Surge Arrester Coordination Plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

user1011

Electrical
Jun 17, 2024
US
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create a transformer insulation - surge arrester protective level coordination plot similar to the one below. My questions are:
a. Where do i find the duration of Surge Arrester Front of Wave (FOW), Lightning Protective Level (LPL) and Switching Surge Protective Level (SPL)? I only see the current impulse waveshapes from the manufacturer's data.
b Where do i find the duration of insulation levels for the transformer.

I already have the calculation for the protective margins but stuck on replicating the plot below. Thank you in advance for your responses.
image_2024-07-26_195516595_t4yjyb.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

look at the arrestor data sheet again, the clamping voltage (or residual voltage or discharge voltage) should be given for multiple surge waves. The most common one is 8/20 micro seconds 10 kA. this clamping voltage is the kV that develops across the arrester when the arrester is subjected to a lightning impulse current wave that takes 8 us to rise to 10kA and 20 us to fall. The time you're looking for is the 8 or 20 micro sec depending how you want to graph it.

the data sheet will also provide the FOV clamping voltage, this should be in the range 1 or 2 micro sec.

the lightning one is the 8/20 micro sec, and multiple current should be provided, which correspond to multiple kA lines in your plot at 10 us.

the switching surge is the 45/95 micro sec range.

the temporary overvoltage (TOV) capability makes up the remainder of your plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back