How to draw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alshaiji

Structural
May 31, 2002
US
Hi all
i teach basics of statics in a college. i am having a hard time drawing all beams and frames in AutoCAD and they do not look nice plus they take a while to draw.
instead of AutoCAD, is there a software to help me draw beams and frames with loads on them to use them in tests and papers.
Thanks You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a program called MDsolids. You can download an evaluation copy and see if it helps.

AutoCAD is a fine program but it is not a real easy solid model program. I have been using Rhinoceros for solid model design. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some programs but you can draw a solid model with a great deal less training and cost. The models can then be saved in many different formats. Evaluation copies are available.

I suppose what you need to draw are the "schematic" beams with point loads or uniform distributed loads etc. or similar for frames.

In this case I suggest you try to explore the drawing toolbox within excel. You can do quite a lot of things with those.

A few tips:

1. Resize your grid to show small squares - it need not be accurate - just look right.

2. Draw all symbols on a separate sheet (where you do not depend on the grid size)

3. When placing a shape or line, hold down the <ALT> button. This enables you to snap to the grid.

4. When you have made something that you want to make a block (or Cell), select all the items, right click and group.

5. Just draw symbols too large for where you need them. After grouping them you can resize and copy them to the destination sheet. The best result if you paste special (enhanced Meta file)

Hope this was useful

regards
Mogens

Contact the guys at They may be able to help you. They sell structural anlysis programs of varrying complexity. Some of the simpler programs can set up and solve beams very quickly, giving nice sketches for the reports. They have special academic rates.

BillPSU ,mgp, IFRs, DRC1

I want to thank each and everyone of you guys for your input.
I think mgp was the one who figured the word i missed ,"schematic". These were the drawing i was refering to. i will try each suggetion at a time and see how it goes. as for the Excel thing it looked ok but not as i expected. i will keep trying to find a way behind that otherwise i will go back to autoCAD.
Thanks all and wish me luck.
Alshaiji

alshaiji,

When using MS Word/ Excel Drawing function, "line", be aware of the (mouse-right click) "Edit Points".
You can make the "line" do practically anything you want.
Even "fill". It works on lines & arrows. A lot of the lines won't intersect where you need them to and this is a great help. Great when Autocad is overkill.

Alshaiji

Try to download the "Beams" file from

There's a neat little pump arrangement also in one of the other files.

These are just a couple of samples. I think you will find that they can be made to look quite ok with a little effort.

Rerig. Thanks for the edit points tip. I'll have to explore that further.

Regards
Mogens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back