Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to eliminate static and magneticism from a metal (stainless steel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pintree3

Computer
Nov 20, 2014
CA
I am neither a Magnetic engineer, electric engineer or anything related hence me asking a question here and also giving those of you who are a reason to excuse my ignorance, of what may be a stupid question (or at least stupid to some since many of us believe there is no such thing as a stupid question.)
I have tools, tweezers to be exact) which are supposed to be stainless steel but are either not stainless steel or of very pool quality. Since a cheap magnet (the type you use to stick paper to a board) easily sticks to the tweezers shows they are not anti-magnetic. Is there anything I could do to make them anti-magnetic? more precisely I want to make it anti-static? Or minimize such qualities? thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anti-magnetic and anti-static are not related. Since these are metal of some sort, they likely have more than sufficient conductivity to act like normal conductors. More relevant is whether the holder of the tools, namely YOU are antistatic, i.e., are you wearing verified and properly grounded ESD wrist straps and wearing an antistatic gown.

Once made, steel cannot be made "anti-magnetic," since that property is inherent in the alloy metals used.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

There are a great many stainless steel alloys that are highly magnetic. Even most of the 300 series austenitic stainless steels can be attracted to a magnet if they are heavily cold worked. Nothing you can do about it now. Static is another phenomenon entirely, get a ground strap.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

I thank you both for taking the time to reply and to do so this fast :)
I was aware of the 300 and 400, I did after all do some research :) but obviously not enough. Thus in reading here and there I thought I'd give here a try and it worked.
I did have a feeling that this could not be done but wanted to make sure. But yes, I do have an anti-static strip; and by you answering this actually helped in a different way as well since it saved me from asking another questions which would be: is an anti-static wrist band good enough when using metal tools?
If you don't mind I would like to ask another question if I may, while we're on the subject--2 actually.
I think metal tools or other metal things can be made anti-static, correct? and this would be by adding some sort of coating.
The 2nd question is: what defines a ''good'' anti-static tool? Yes, one could buy one from a reputable company and increase the chances of it being so but besides this is there an other way of knowing. I mean I could always rub myself against a carpet and see if static occurs (if this makes any sense)but is there anything else?
Thanks again and it''s OK if you don't answer since at this point it's purely for curiosity, personal educational purposes.

Again, metal and anti-static are irrelevant. They are conductive and therefore, cannot generate static. Only plastic tools would have this problem.

As for indicators, static field meters are relatively inexpensive, and you should have one if you are this concerned, as you should be, about ESD. Do you have an ESD training regimen at work? If not, you should.

Note that in extremely low humidity environments, having an ESD smock is a must, because your clothes are the biggest source of ESD, and since the clothing is non-conductive, a wrist strap would not prevent an ESD discharge from your clothing to a critical component, were you to reach over that component and accidentally touch it with your clothing. Our company's ESD regimen includes conductive work surfaces, conductive containers/bags, ESD straps, and conductive smocks.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Thanks again for your help
You've answered all I want to know so need to go no further. But just for fun let me respond to some things you wrote in reply.
All the info I asked for is for personal information. I like to educate myself in all things of interest . It has nothing to do with work. I'm in the arts (writing/teaching etc.) but the sciences are on top of the list of interests and having many friends in the engineering fields (Aeronautics, Robotics, Electronic and a few others)or having worked with them in some capacity or other has maintained my interest.
When you said, "static field meters are relatively inexpensive'' I assumed you meant for work purposes, therefore inexpensive from that POV. or else to me inexpensive would have to mean under $10. (now you know where I' coming from :) since the tool would be used, just for curiosity and maybe a few times of the year only.
Once again I thank you for your time. I am indeed grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back