How to eliminate water stain marks from electroplating around welded joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wen_D

Computer
Oct 14, 2019
AU
Hi All,

I am a newbie here and need some expert engineering help on a problem that I have. Heard this is the place for answers!!! :)

I have a dish rack being manufactured and there is a recurring problem with water stain marks on the rack. It is on every single product made and ranges from serious to only slight marking.

So the dish rack has quite a unique design in that it is made up of 4mm flat iron and 3mm arched iron wire then finished with copper colour 24hr electroplating + electrophoresis. The biggest issue we have is water stains around the welding joints of the flat iron. After plating, the racks are hooked for drying and the backflow from the plating water causes the water stain to occur. The manufacturer have claimed that this is part of the production process and unavoidable and their solution is to continue to pick out the bad ones and dump them. In the first order, out of 1,000 made 500 had to be scrapped and second order 650 made, 150 scrapped.

Attached is a photo of the staining that is present on pretty much every sample. Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on how to overcome this.

Many thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=85c03792-306e-419f-9ef9-fdf23ea6c85e&file=Water_stain_copper_rack.jpeg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back