Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

how to find a best fitted curve from a group of curves (points)

Status
Not open for further replies.

96742zs

Mechanical
Jan 3, 2012
AU
I am using a 2D laser scanner to scan a curved surface along it's longitude direction (y). This operation results in a point cloud in 3D space. At each y position, I can use least square to find a best fit curve in x,z axis, eg. a functin f(x). However, because of measurement noise, the parameters of each f(x) are slightly different to others. How can I find a best fitted curve from all those curves? and this best fitted curve will be the mathematical model of this surface.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have provided no criteria as to what the "best" model is... least squares is one approach, but only you can decide what method will provide you with the best solution given the data at hand.

What other models have you looked at using? Why did you select them? Why did you select LS over the others?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

thanks everyone's suggestion. I didn't have data in hand yesterday, so I tried to make it simple to understand. I have got some ideas for this question, but not sure this is good or not.

The image attached show how the measurement data looks like. The object being scanned is not a smoothed, regular surface. It's a sand pile. All this data groups, eg. x1 v.s. z1 were firstly filtered using Gaussian smooth filter.

getfile.aspx

I can use least square to fit every curve, but I don't know how to use the leasr square to minimize the aggregate sum of all the deviations of these 44 data-set. At the moment, I don't have any criterias to evaulate the fitting result. Only one information I have is the repose angle of the sand. However, it is not a fixed constant, and slope angle of those curves are about the same.

My solution is:
1) K-mean clustering. This results a centroid of each (x,z) pair. Highlighted by 'X' in the image.

2) least square curve fitting.

Any suggestions?

For an equation to fit your curve, using least square try several "Nth " degree polynomial curves and select the curve that has the highest coefficient of correlation the highest value would be "1" one.

Id probably generate akima splines from the data, since akima will hold true to its outliers (which i figure you care about). To compare one spline to the next, compare the coefficients table.

Give the ALGLIB library a shot. I've written quite a few data analysis programs which required curve fitting and interpolation for Q.C. data on manufactured parts, and have not found something that couldn't be accomplished through some clever application of ALGLIB. Brutally quick algorithms, and flexible to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back