Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find a component of an Assembly...... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAD2015

Computer
Jan 21, 2006
US
Hi,

The NX file B (Back_Shell_002XCATPart.prt) is a component of an assembly:

NX_PART_PARENT-B_gzaypy.gif

When I saved this component (Back_Shell_002XCATPart.prt), I believe that I saved in a different folder, other than the one shown in the picture A:

NX_PART_PARENT-A_vc2kpx.gif

How could I find the folder on which its parent/assembly top is located?

Thank you!

CAD 2015

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not talking about " the “Assembly Navigator”, (where commands pop-up list will open and then select the “Find Component” command).
I am talking about finding the location in the database of the parent.

CAD 2015

NX has a "where-used" function that will search the given folders for the parent assembly of a given file. However, be warned that it is very slow if you have a significant number of files to look through.

NX ships with a utility called "ugpc.exe"; if you use this with the "-a" switch, it will report the "as-saved" locations of the components that the file references. If you are comfortable with some scripting, this might give you results faster than the "where-used" option.

CAD2015 said:
When I saved this component (Back_Shell_002XCATPart.prt), I believe that I saved in a different folder, other than the one shown in the picture A

If you think that you have accidentally made a copy of this part and are looking for the duplicate, I suggest using fast duplicate file finder. It will search for duplicate files based on the content of the file (not just file names/sizes). It has a free option and I use it often to look for and eliminate duplicate NX files.

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back