Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find worthwhile books (with reviews) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

briandestefano

Civil/Environmental
Apr 7, 2008
US
Does anyone know of a good online bookstore, or even just a website with accurate reviews, for engineering books. I really don't want to spend tons of money on books that I will never use. Thanks for your time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I appreciate the help, but you were right about the site being limited to computer topics. I'm looking more toward structure engineering, and land development (i.e. infrastructure, wastewater treatment plants, asphalt, etc.)

You are reasonably new to eng-tips, so may not have followed (m)any of the book recommendation threads here. The site members are probably your best resource. Why not just post a "please recommend me ..." question.

- Steve

SomtingGuy is right about this site being one of the more useful places to get reviews and suggestions. It also helps to list the books you have at hand because many of these folks have access to more than one book and at some point were on a quest for understanding certain topics that may have created a preference for one book over another.

Here is one site that has a number of books useful in structures,
Most of the time though I am chasing down one of the books mentioned here and I have yet to be disappointed by Amazon.

Check the ASCE bookstore. My favorite is 'Sons of Martha,' a compendium of CE stories of historical note. If the bookstore is too pricey, go to Amazon with the same title.

Try Google books.

What about the book store that services any local university (I am from AUS). They typically have books which are "suitably technical" for engineers (rather than sales catalogues etc). You can have a look and or purchase it if you like.

Regards,
Lyle

Gee, if only I knew a forum where only engineers talked about things and discussed them. It should include books, references and software....okay you've already found this place.
Seriously this is a pretty good resource. Ask some queries in the subject forums on what books are good. There are already several threads on favorite author/book.
In structural, I like Popov for simple engineering mechanics books (statics, d-bodies). Salmon & Johnson for steel and Wang for concrete have served me well. Seismic should be something off of the SEAOC website (seaoc.org). Anything else can surely be answered here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back