Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to gain Structural Engineering Experience (career advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhuynh

Civil/Environmental
Nov 2, 2010
CA
Hello I recently graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering in Canada. My past work experience have been mostly materials testing, geotechnical and transportation. I dabbed into those career paths and i know could continue doing that kind of work and be content, however I really think I'd like to get into structural design work.

I'm applying for structural positions and frankly i haven't had one response. My contract is going to expire shortly (6 months) and i have an opportunity to switch my career path. In today's economy being unemployed is just not an option. I'd like to secure a position asap. What can i do now to make me more appealing to companies who are interested in hiring structural engineers.

I was thinking maybe contacting the local university and introducing myself as someone who'd like to gain some additional structural engineering experience and see what kind of projects some professors are undertaking and if i could assist them. I was also thinking about purchasing some structural engineering topic textbooks, and possibly learn some structural analysis/design software.

In general, what do companies look for in a structural engineer? (from a technical standpoint) I'd really like any advice anyone has to offer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As a new graduate highlight your structural engineering coursework - reinforced concrete, structural design in metals, structural analysis. Those are usually the minimum for the BS unless you took your technical electives in structural as well. If that's the case then put those courses down on your resume also.

If you didn't take any technical electives for your BS, then consider taking structural seminars - seminars that offer a course number and PDHs. This will be quick and cheaper than college courses. the alternative is to do just that take more structural courses via the university. And if you're going to go teh route of taking more courses you should just get a masters in structural engineering. Many firms look for a masters degree in this discipline.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

I agree. As a new graduate, it's all about your coursework. In the US, employers might look for the following courses: steel design, reinforced concrete design, determinant structures, indeterminant structures. As a bonus, helpful classes would include prestressed concrete design and timber design.

Look for a small civil/Structural consultancy that has use for your existing skills and is welling to help you develop new ones.

You are less likely to get pigeon holed in a small consultancy.

I agree with csd and the others.

Not to be fecetious, but at a local large aircraft production firm here, you would be put in a hole to design pigeons and forgotten about.

The diversity you will see in a small firm is what you need.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back