Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get Assembly drawings to display in-context components correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLineDesign

Bioengineer
Aug 9, 2007
US
Hello, we allow use of in-context modeling for test fixtures and other non-production items here at work. This works great on a lot of the typical situations, but there is one where this doesn't work, and that is in-context components. We were doing tubes in-context (they are defined by a 3D sketch that varies) to connect several components, but these tubes only will show the current configuration in the drawing. Please help if you have suggestions for fixing this, the goal is to not have multiple tubes that are essentially duplicates. I have the proper named configurations selected, and I have allow multiple contexts for parts turned on, but we can't get this to work correctly. What am I missing?

To ask or describe this another way: We have two views next to one another of an in-context component that changes shape across two different configurations, but only the current configuration in the assembly will display in each view rather than the individual configurations. What gives?

Thanks for your help,
KLine

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Each in-context component that varies based on the master assembly config is probably going to have to have a separate config for each of its shapes. The reason is that SolidWorks can't have the same config of the same component have different geometry at the same time.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Updraft, I indicated that we have the correct (different) configurations selected. The issue is that only one (whichever is current) will display. Thanks for your reply though.

handleman, your explanation seems to make sense, however it is the Assembly driving the tube and mating components position so the configurations lie in the Assembly. It is easy to get around this with multiple tubes, but that is not desirable. Also, we can fix up the drawings by making whichever needed configuration current, but this will not work if two views of the same component (in assembly) are side by side with different configurations. I don't see what the view won't rebuild per the selected configuration.

Any other ideas?

KLineDesign,

You are describing my experience with SolidWorks. An in-context part cannot have two physical configurations unless you have two configurations in SolidWorks. I suggest multiple part configurations.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back