Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get the first controls engineering job in the US for MSEE from another country

Status
Not open for further replies.

VincenzoPIC

Electrical
Dec 9, 2012
US
Hi all.
I am an electrical engineer with a masters in electronics and control (all evaluated and equivalent to US standard, doing EIT test and license next April). I moved to the US 2 years ago with a Special Immigrant Visa (SIV/green card) for working for the US Army for 3 years in a war zone (where I come from) right after finishing my masters there and taught microprocessor design in an engineering school there.

Here in the US, I started working in a store that sells electrical stuff, then I "wasted" a little more than a year teaching in a trade school things like electronics, digital basics, PLCs, ... etc.

I've been studying how to get a first engineering job in this bad economy for two years, never gave up applying and sending resumes, but the maximum I had was phone calls from companies (some were serious).

My interests and experiences (although not documented here) are either control (PLC, SCADA, HMI...) or embedded and firmware electronic design, but I'm willing to take anything now. Friends who know mw describe me as the math geek with a soldering iron.

My first goal was doing more schooling here like a PhD or another masters especially since it all starts there in American eng. schools (companies go to schools to look for interns and entry-level engineers and many professors have there own consultancy firms or do business for some), but now I can't do that for financial and age issues (late 30's).

Does licensing help landing the first job? or is it some special professional training? or is the training provided by the employer?

Are there specific active recruiters and/or job websites that may help someone with my complicated case?

I spent so many years schooling and I'm so in love with this field (not only money-wise, but that's important because I'm doing under-entry-level jobs for tips now and struggling with bills) and willing to work so hard to do something. It's my bad luck that I was born and raised in a war zone.

Any tips or clues finding a first entry-level controls engineering job or internship would be life savers for me because I'm done with the 3-15 years requirement by almost all employers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back