Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to handle drawings and part number/drawing number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechdesigner87

Industrial
Aug 16, 2018
US
My turn to open the can of worms. I have dug for two days and read post after post and understand the arguments for numbering systems...however, that is NOT what this post is about. We HAVE a numbering system in place. My goal is to more figure out the drawing/part relationship.

Up until now in my 10 year career as a Mechanical Designer, I worked for a place that used a base part numbering system with dash numbers to represent variations (such as screw lengths). Drawing number would be the base number (12345), but by default EVERY part got a "-1" tagged to the end and variations thereafter were So for drawing 12345, there may be 5 parts on there -1 thru -5 represented through a tabulated format. The system worked great. If there was a change to say -2, then it was noted in the Revision Control Table. But as a whole, the document was revised up to the next revision level. No issues.

At the new job, we have drawings that use the same methodology from the old numbering system (example 8002-645H1 drawing number, 8002-645H1-01, -02, etc parts represented on the drawing with tables). HOWEVER, at some point we introduced SAP, and all of those part numbers mean nothing in SAP. We can search them but are getting away from using them in any form.

With that being said, SAP assigned new part numbers to all of those dash numbered parts (ex: 8002-645H1-01 became 20088123) The issue is now EVERY dashed part has its own unique random number. So HOW can I represent a tabulated drawing now of 12 parts that no longer have the same base number but all have random different numbers. What the heck do I call my drawing number?

I have seen posts that state to the drawing number and part number should not be the same, but nothing on how to handle that. Looks like it would make it a PAIN to find the drawing of that part in question. In the above example, lets say I have part 20088123 in my hand and want to see the drawing of it, how do I go about getting that? rely soley on the ERP system to find that? The looks like a huge time waster just to find the drawing if the drawing and part numbers differ. Also, wouldnt the system have to automatically pull two numbers for new parts? One for the part, one for the drawing? I do NOT like this methodology at all nor do I understand it.

Also, I have seen posts saying that 1 part number per drawing. Well that just turned my easy screw drawing of 1 into 20 drawing or what have you. Looks like amount of time creating drawings would EXPONENTIALLY grow.

Basically, I'm asking, how are different part numbers and drawing numbers handled with unique part numbers (no dashes), and what to name a tabulated drawing of 20 unique part numbers that represent a family of parts (like screws).

I have attached a few screenshots of some of the posts I am referring to. Again, I am not looking at changing our part numbering system, just how to handle the uniwue part numbers and drawings of previouly family of parts files.

My Findings:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experience has been that 20088123 would have a drawing and that drawing would be an A-size that says "refer to tabulation chart drawing 12345". In your case i would probably maintain the dash numbers as aliases for the newly assigned part numbers because somebody from the field will be asking for that part specifically and then you need to cross reference to current part number. I have also seen it embedded in the MRP system as two different fields "part number: 20088123" "drawing number:12345"

mechdesigner87,

Did the people who set up SAP talk to your engineering and your purchasing departments?

If I need a part with a part number, I need to find the documentation. If the documentation is keyed to the part number (or vice versa), it is easy to find. It makes sense to people even when they are not intimately familiar with your document process.

How does your database and purchasing work? Does the SAP database identify your original document number? What are your vendors told to supply.

Billy Bob and Cousin Elmo's Machine Shop said:
Hi there. You want quantity 1500 of your part number 20088123, and you have sent us drawing 8002-645H1-01, which is tabulated. What are you guys drinking? We want some.

I actually have seen this done. SolidWorks ran in an EPDM environment. EPDM assigned filenames for the models and drawings. When the part went to manufacturing, a new number was assigned by the main database. This was entered into EPDM, and the number attached to the SolidWorks fabrication drawing. The main database received a PDF of the drawing, and a STP file of the model. EPDM was able to search on its own numbers, and the database numbers. Lots of Visual Basic programming was done in SolidWorks to accomplish this.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back