Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to I make a WF5 symbole work in WF4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraga425

Mechanical
Aug 10, 2012
US
Hi!

I am making drawing formats for my office. I recived an example from another branch that had our logo as a symbol in their WF5 format. I went "symbol gallery"> "write" and saved the symbol to my desktop. I then moved it to my symboles folder. In WF5 I can instert this symbol in a new drawing.

However I can not open it in WF4. In WF 4 when I go "custom symbol"> "browse"> select the logo> "open" it still shows the symbol that was previously selected and it says "Error reading symbol file. Symbol not retrieved." The file is .sym. In the folder the file type is labled as "file" and not "Pro/Engioneer versioned file" but other symbols that are labled "file" do work.

How can I make this symbol apear in WF4? Is there a diffrent way to extract it from the WF5 template that may work better?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A symbol file is just a special version of a part file, so you cannot open a newer version in an older version of Pro/E.

You MAY be able to create a WF4 symbol and and open the file in notepad or wordpad and replease the WF5 header information with the lines from the WF4 file and see if the symbol will then open in WF4.

Another thing to try is cut the symbol from a WF5 drawing and paste it in a WF4 drawing. Haven't tried this, but it may go.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back