Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to improve myself for the structural engineering industry 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jRodCE

Civil/Environmental
Apr 16, 2007
My current situation is that I have just been working in the civil industry for a year and a half. I have been trying to get into the structural engineering industry but do to the current condition of the economy no one is hiring right now plus everyone did most of their recruiting at the beginning of the year. I am 100% committed to get into the structural industry but it seems that probably won't be happening until early next year so I have about half a year to improve myself. I am enrolled in a graduate structural engineering program and I have even re-read all of my undergrad design textbooks just to refresh my memory and go over material which was not covered in school. I have also started familiarizing myself with programs like SAP2000 & EnerCalc using their trial versions.

Is there anything else I should be doing to prepare myself? Are there any other books that are a must have for Structural EIT, other than the design textbooks for concrete, masonry, steel, and timber? Are there any areas which you know most EIT usually need to work on? I would really like to hear from both EIT and more experienced engineers. I'm sure I didn't ask everything I should, so please feel free to comment. Thank you to all who reply.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jrod;
I have my EIT and I have been working in the structural field for almost 3 years.

My advice would be to familiarize yourself with the current building code, 2007 IBC or CBC if you are in California. Next think about what kind of structural eng you would like to do. Many of the large or even mid sized companies work with mostly commercial, multi story and maybe high end custom homes. Although I have never worked for a big company, from what I have heard your experience comes at a very slow pace compared to smaller companies, but the pay & bennies are a lot better.

I have always worked at small struct eng companies with < 10 employees. we mostly do residential and a lot of remodels in Southern Calif right on the coast, but it may be different in your area.

Like I said before learn the code, IBC, ACI 318 for concrete, and also learn about load path. Learn to determine gravity loads and the basics of tributary areas that effect the vertical system. Good examples can be found in and structural engineering wood book. I can't remember the books name, but it is the one currently being used most schools.

Hope this helps

I am in California. I am already somewhat familiar with ACI 318 and a bit familiar with the 2006 IBC, NDS and ASCE 7-05. I think probably as familiar as I can be with them without working in industry. I already have my mind set to get a job in a mid-size firm that does mainly commercial.

I think the book you are referring to is, "Design of Wood Structures ASD/LRFD" by Breyer. I am already familiar with load paths, gravity loads, tributary areas and their effects on the vertical system. The professor I took for Timber was really great and taught us all that stuff and more. I can see why you would say loads paths. I guess one of the things that worries me is the design of an entire structure. In school we are taught how to design the components(beams, columns etc..) but it's a different things to tie several classes together to design an entire structure. Also, the only class I took which covered seismic design was Timber so that kinda worries me a bit.

Don't worry, its not like they are going to make you design a 15 story bldg your 1st day on the job. Also you will probably start our determining gravity loads then designing beams and columns. Of course this will be checked by another engineer.

Funny thing, I am actually starting to think that I would like to transfer over into water resources or wastewater. It kind of bumms me out sometimes when we get big 15,000 sf custom homes that are being built along the coast in new development. Kind of like I am adding to the problem of overdevelopment. I guess I got into a field that is based on development, but it would be nice to engineer something other then rich peoples homes.

I am an EIT two years out of school. I would recommend reading through you textbooks to understand things you didn't learn in school (which it sounds like you've already done). I would buy some other book that you may not have (Blodgett's Design of Welded Structures is a good one) and read those.
I would highly recommend reading through posts on this board. I have done tons of reading trying to learn more on my own after school, but this board has been absolutely invaluable by allowing me to converse with and learn from such a large number of competent, experienced structural engineers (I'm referencing the structural engineering other topics forum - among others). You will be exposed to so many problems and solutions here that would take years and years to experience in a design office alone. If you take the time to try to solve the problems as opposed to just reading the responses it will accelerate your learning process exponentially.

I would steer clear of enercalc. We have it in our office, but it's on its way out. It is unreliable, and sometimes gives bad results.

Its really hard to put books on a resume, and nothing is like design experience. If building design is what you seek then I would suggest expanding your search outside your local area. Some areas of the country are designing like gang busters and hiring (as we are looking currently in the midwest), and some areas are depressed and likely to stay that way for a while (S. Florida I've heard, Las Vegas, etc).
Also if I were you I'd take almost any job in the building industry I could that would start me off in the right direction. There are some retail designers that are almost always hiring. You really have to look at yourself as a new grad and approach things like that. If I were interviewing you that is probably what I would see you as. You may have a bit more maturity than a new grad - so sell yourself that way - but as far as experience goes you are at zero.
Good luck.

to pass the PE exam (even civil) you need some fairly extensive knowledge of seismic analysis and design requirements. If you plan to stay in California, you will need to consider seismic forces and requirements in your designs. this was not covered in my undergrad civil courses at all.

StructuralEIT,

Was the book that you are talking about published in 1966? That didn't seem right so I wanna make sure I'm looking at the right one. Thanks.

Yes, that is correct. It is an old book, but it has proven invaluable and I'm only two years in. I've used it countless times to design welds for a compite section subjected to torsion.

Yes, that is correct. It is an old book, but it has proven invaluable and I'm only two years in. I've used it countless times to design welds for a composite section subjected to torsion.

It was just weird for someone to recommend a pretty old book. The oldest book in my library is from 2002. Are there any other books, guides, papers etc.. which you recommend I should get? Once again, thanks.

One thing I would suggest is to go ahead and start looking at the licensing laws, paying particular attention to the experience requirements and supervision requirements. This will help you know what to look for in terms of jobs that will qualify you to be licensed. If you haven't done so, it's probably a good time to take the FE test also.

If you consider moving, keep licensing requirements in mind. What I remember from several years ago was that WA, CA, and maybe NV all had reciprocal structural licensing, but then if you were licensed as a SE outside of those states, you'd have to take additional tests and/or have additional experience to get licensed in CA.

If you just want some interesting engineering reading, find "History of Strength of Materials" by Timoshenko. It won't necessarily make you a better engineer, but gives you some background on how some of this stuff came about. Dover did have it as a fairly cheap paperback.

Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain is popular. I've only used it once, but it's been borrowed by others in my office a lot.
Search AISC's website for stuff that interests you. And again, the structural engineering other topics forum on this site is invaluable. If you read through the poists and make an honest attempt to understand and don't just blindly read , you will gain a TON of technical competence over your peers.
I have a lot of books on my shelf. I have all my books from class and I bought a lot more after I started working. I have 2 concrete texts, 3 steel texts, 2 foundation texts, 2 structural analysis books, 2 mechanics of materials boks, a wood book, the NDS, ACI 318, ACI 530, PCA Notes on ACI 318, Blodgett, Structural Stability of steel. I also have several old textbooks. I actualy bought old concrete texts to teach myself masonry design. Since masonry is typically designed using ASD, I picked up some old concrete texts (since the old method was ASD and the behavior is similar) just to get my feet wet with it because I couldn't find a good masonry text. I have all of the AISC design guides downloaded. I also have a ton of technical papers. Anytime you come across something interesting with respect to structural behavior print it or save it.

I second StructuralEIT's recommendation that you get Blodgett's book. I have used this book many times in my 25 years as a structual engineer. Most recently, this book helped me check a weird gusset plate welded crosswise on a plate girder flange. By the way, have you considered getting into bridge design? Your civil experience will come in very handy for that, and you would still be designing structures. Furthermore, I think it pays better.

Get a copy of SEAOC's Bluebook (1999 Recommended Lateral Force Requirements and Commentary). Read through the provisions and the corresponding commentaries. Try to compare the provisions with the corresponding sections in the latest codes.

The Bluebook is a bit dated but the commentaries provide background information not explicitly stated in the code and difficult to find elsewhere.

" Since masonry is typically designed using ASD, I picked up some old concrete texts (since the old method was ASD and the behavior is similar) just to get my feet wet with it because I couldn't find a good masonry text."

A good text for CMU design is "Reinforced Masonry Engineering Handbook" by James E. Amrhein, I hear there is an update coming out for it.

"I would steer clear of enercalc. We have it in our office, but it's on its way out. It is unreliable, and sometimes gives bad results."

Yes, unfortunately our office just recently purchased this capricious monster. I think I have had a problem with EVERY module I have used. [banghead]

StructuralEIT, can you recommend a replacement program??

I was reviewing a program several weeks ago called "Digital Canal". There were a few things I didn't like about it, but it was much more reliable than evercalc (for the 3 modules I looked at). There is one other program I am supposed to look at when I have time (which seems like is never going to happen), but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. The CD is still sitting on my desk and I am out of the office next week.
What I've actually done (and have gotten used to) is make my own design spreadsheets for some materials (concrete beams, masonry) and use RAM Advanse as an analysis tool, then just pull the design loads out of Advanse and design by hand (for wood), use Advanse's steel check (for steel), or use one of my spreadsheets (for wood or masonry).
I really feel like taking the time to write out spreadsheets gives a more in depth understanding of the specs. I've also designed a spreadsheet to design wind moment connections (we do a lot of buildings with that for the lateral system), and I am in the process of writing one for Appendix D of ACI (talk about a bear - there are so many logic statements it's kind of crazy). I'm done with the tension and about half-way done with the shear.
When I write spreadsheets I try to make them truly as simple as possible. For example, in the ACI App. D spreadsheet, I have all anchor sizes from 1/4" up to 2" listed in a drop down box. I also have square, heavy square, hex, heavy hex, and other in a drop down list for the type of bolt to use. Then in the space for Abrg and Ase, those values come up automatically (based on anchor size and nut type) so that you don't need to continually look at a table. I also have a blank space in there in case you are using a welded headed stud that doesn't conform to the anchor rod specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back