Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

how to increase low surface energy of PVC and avoid plasticizer migration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironstrike

Materials
Feb 25, 2020
IN
is there any way we can increase the Low surface energy of plasticized PVC sheets by applying a chemical or by any mechanical modification either of which resources can be available easily for lab scale work.

I have read a few solutions such as i)degreasing using a solvent so the plasticizer is removed and the surface becomes more rougher and no migration of plasticizer would occur or ii)sanding of the sheet etc. but not too sure if they work.

I would prefer if any chemically modifications are possible. Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solvents are also plasticizers. You can use, say, acetone to extract some plasticizer from the PVC surface, then dry to remove acetone. Plasticizer will continue to migrate with time. Corona treatment will also remove some surface plasticizers. It is not clear what you want to accomplish.

I wanted to increase the surface energy for adhesive application on PVC sheet. Also any chemical I can put a layer of using a cotton swab or brush on the surface that modifies the surface is what I am searching for, but I cant do Corona or Plasma or Flame treatment since I dont have the equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back