Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to induce a pre-stress in a cantilever beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny31

Mechanical
Oct 4, 2005
IE
Hi

I am trying to model a cantilever beam (mem’s scale).

The beam is constructed from two materials; Aluminium layer (colour green) on top of a Silicon dioxide base layer, see attached database model. The element type is solid 45, (unsure if this is correct element type for this type of analysis)
I want to induce a compressive pre-stress in the silicon dioxide layer of around 80Mpa and a smaller tensile stress of 10 Mpa in the Aluminium layer. I am hoping this will cause the beam to curl/deflect in one direction. I do not wish to apply any other type of loading on the beam.

I am assuming a modal analysis (unsure if this is correct assumption)

Question:
How do I induce a pre-stress in a material layer and solve it, so it causes the beam to curl/deflect. I have never done this before. Can you recommend an example or solution?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi, nice to know that you are doing the same work with me, i am doing the same work with you, i have already fabricated the pre-bent cantilever, and trying to get the simulation now.
Hope to communicate with you on cantilever.
chenxingmems@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back