Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to look for advice / design service - miniature mechanical device 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlixFlix

Electrical
Feb 2, 2010
US
I'm trying to design a little... something. Because it's very early, I can't tell you exactly what the final product will be (if at all) but it'll be very interesting. The main challenge is the mechanical part, which involves creating a sort of a spring loaded latching switch inside a tiny cylinder - less than 1/8" dia x 1/4" high AND with a lot of travel - more than 1/8". Think of an automatic ballpoint pen mechanism crammed into the aforementioned space. Any material can be used and cost is not an issue, even for production quantities, it can be as high as several dollars per piece.

I couldn't find an exact category match on the forum; if you know of a better fit, please let me know. Anyway, what I'm trying to find out how to even find a mechanical designer or where to look. I'm not looking for free A-Z design but conceptual ideas are definitely welcome!

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
- flixflix

Suppose it works, and it sells, beyond your wildest dreams.
How many will you need to make per day in order to saturate the market as rapidly as possible?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Even though it could be considered a niche product, this particular niche is very, very large. Strictly limited to your question, I'd say AT LEAST one million units, over the course of 1-2 years after which the saturation, copycats and the end of the world kick in.

The above numbers are actually realistic but just for the sake of it, looking through a pair of ultra-pessimistic 3D glasses, you could still see around a hundred thou.

Okay, a million a year is about five thousand a day, a production level for which serious automation can probably be justified, so you don't have to be real fussy about using or adapting 'standard' parts.

So you need a mechanical designer who has worked on medium to high volume products. It should be no trick to find one who is between jobs and near you. There's even a chance that a _good_ one will be available.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Now that you calculated a per day volume, I'm getting the too big to handle anxiety. In fact, another marketing tactic could have better results - overprice it and sell just a fraction of the total number. Also try filing for a patent, a broaaad one since this is probably something very easy to invent around. Either way, I'd still have the first-to-market advantage and because I'm not the greedy type, the above could work out well.

Where can I then look for such a designer? Let me just start with the design itself, not volume production strategies. I, for one, don't have a clue how this would work; all I know is that it's possible. A wristwatch is hundreds of times more complex, and they made them the same number of years ago.

Just a suggestion. I still read the local newspaper, and the want ads. Advertise for what you want under the "Help Wanted" section, in the "E's". Be prepared to be buried in resume's.

Thank you for the suggestion. I wasn't exactly looking to employ a person but rather gather some ideas and then have someone design the mechanism, as a gig.

My problem is that I don't know where exactly I should ask. Even if I were to place an ad (although it would apply to a forum post, too), how should I ask? What kind of expertise or specialization, or experience if what line of work?

How about starting with what it will most be like, if it is similar to a ball point pen start there, or do you have a local jeweller who might be able and willing to help?

Another avenue might be a model making club, these guys knock up some pretty amazing planes, traction engines and the like from home drawn plans on very basic machinery and always seem to love a challenge.

There are design engineering firms by the thousands (US) who are all hungry for work. Your problem is not finding one, but rather narrowing your search to fit the nature of the project.

FlixFlix
Here are some links to miniture parts suppliers:

Another one is secs inc. which I have a catalog for but old enough so no website and so many companies with name of secs on-line I dcould not easily find them.

secs were in Long Island, NY and Lomita, CA
212-932-4545, 213-539-7330 these area codes have probably changed due to populaion increase.

I suggest to contact your local chapter of society of Mecahnical Engineers and ask for reference to a lilely prospect. Might make sense to join and make personal contact, get to know some individuals.

Actually you would not have to join. You can find out when the next meeting is scheduled and show up. Professional engineering society meetings are almost always open to the public. And/or you might try SME (Society of Manufacturing Engineers). Either place you might find someone who can help you develop your concept and advise on producing it.

Guess what the web address is for secs inc? LOL

The three companies that you referenced to are mainly part suppliers but all offer custom engineering services and thus could represent just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Or you could try a relevant trade show, just went to really big one last week in Anaheim.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back