Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make a Swept tangent to first and last section ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevethb

Specifier/Regulator
Nov 27, 2008
DE
Hi

I`m using NX10 and trying to make a Swept which will be tangent to first, and last section ( similar to Through Curve Mesh where you select surfaces to be tangent with ) and also I want to control its shape by a spine curve ( spine curve is perpendicular to first, second and last section )

Can Swept be used to create such a surface ? Or do I need to use some other options ? It doesn`t matter if I achieve this by one or several feature. Do you have any idea ?

I tried to use normal Swept but it seems that it does not allow me to make the Swept tangent to first and last section.

Appreciate the answer.​

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ae7c0f51-3d4c-4aeb-bed0-2cf4c7d31628&file=Swept.prt
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have NX10 installed, so cannot open your part file to see what you're attempting to do. However, if building a surface, you might be able to Extrude the start & end sections then use Transition, which allows tangent or curvature continuity. The biggest downside is that you have to create a surface and no options for a solid.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Attached is a modified version of your original model adding short sections ar the end of the sweep using Surface Thru Curves where I've constrained the ends to be tangent. This may be precisely what you were looking for, but it does meet your criteria.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=eee2c63f-a32f-4584-9138-a29cbb33d006&file=Swept-JRB-1.prt
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back