Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make electrical prints (ladder diagrams)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidd31415

Electrical
Nov 23, 2001
US
I've seen courses, seminars, training cds and such online that cover electrical ladder diagrams but I have not had any luck finding a book or web page that coveres the topic.

I'd like to learn the dos and don'ts of making these diagrams. I am interested in the diagrams that relate to wire numbers in a page/line number format; they look similar to ladder logic code, where each rung is a line. The wire labeled 2003 would be referenced on print page #2, line #3.

There are several questions that I come to when trying to make these, such as how to best lay out devices, how to handle terminal strips and devices together in a way that is clear and concise, how to handle lines that have multiple connections on them, and so on.

Ideally I'd like to find a book or web page that covers this. I have briefly used AutoCAD Electrical but would like to have a better understanding of how to make these prints myself before using a package to create them.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This isn't an exact answer to your question, more of an opinion.

I tell you I hate numbers on my wires. They are one tiny, step above unlabeled. I always label my wires with meaningful names. I label them in the ACAD drawings with names and then label them in the system with the same names. Sometimes you have to get creative with abbreviating so you don't have 37 character names but someone trying to deal with the panel will usually quickly recognize the names and can then dispense with hundreds of referrals to pages of drawings.

I use labels I found at McMaster-Carr; page 1370.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Huh, in my day, that was something taught in Electrical Drafting 101! Are they no longer teaching that in school? Sad to hear.

JRaef.com
Eng-Tips: Help for your job, not for your homework Read faq731-376 [pirate]

The only thing I have seen labeled descriptively are PLC IO, but I haven't seen much yet.

There were no drafting courses for EEs at my university, I wish there was something on this though seeing how difficult it is to find ideas/examples.

Does anyone have example drawings they could forward to me so I have a few references to work from? I'm going to start copying what prints I can until I have a feel for drawing them up myself so anything should help.

Thanks,

David

Hi there, take a look at "Autodesk Building Systems 2007", great tool. As you are drawing, you first designate and identify the wire. Once you are done and you "touch" the wire, AutoCad automatically tells you what wire is it, its size, on what panel it is, and so forth. The same if you have receptacles, boxes, switches, light fixtures, etc. In conjunction with this, you also have the option of creating (panel, fixture) schedules as you go, this tool is great, check it out.
Regards

I was given a couple drawings drawn in that format to use for a new design, expected to use an existing pcb. I've never had more trouble deciphering a drawing in my life. At least from a reverse engineering standpoint, it was a nightmare, however it may be more suited for a troubleshooting situation.
Just my opinion....good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back