Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to make rubber slick 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillinCincy

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2003
US
I have an application where I need the compliance of rubber but need to reduce the coifficient of friction between the rubber and a delrin part. The rubber is compressed about 0.020" Silicone rubber is not slick enough. I apply silicone spray to the rubbber at assembly but after 1 day of cycling, the silicone wears off and the friction is too great. Am trying teflon in the neoprene and Stearate in the neoprene. Any other suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Choose your rubber by the requirements of the application, ie, temperature, pressure, media to be sealed and wear resistance. No rubber out of the box is going to give you good frictional properties. If you are using an o-ring, there are manufacturers that have internally lubricated compounds, M0S2, graphite, Teflon, organic wax are a few. If it is not an o-ring and the volume is high enough I am sure that someone would work with you to provide a compound that will reduce your friction.

You can also have the rubber Teflon coated. While this is not as long lived as an internal lubricant is is much better than an applied grease.

I have come across this problem before and found that it can be solved in several ways. Urethane rubber is fairly slick and can often solve your problem. If that does not work, Teflon sheet - thin gauge - can be an answer.
I noticed that your address is in cincy. I have both urethane and teflon in my Cincinnati office. If I can help please call 513-321-4511.
Dave

If you can go to thermoplastic elastomers there are several options to choose from. They range from adding silicone oil into the material so it migrates to the surface. You can also use PTFE in the materials to reduce the COF. You will need to call a custom compounder to get these types of products as the majors dont typically offer custom wear and friction elastomers. Ive used RTP Company.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back