Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to measure pressure in pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgau008

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2011
NZ
hi there,
can anyone suggest me to find correct and exact pressure in the pipe. actually i am working on the tube heat exchangers. tubes carry hot gases (burnt flue gases). i want to take reading of pressure and flow rate as well. i used manometre to measure but it increases by time becouse gases are flowing continously inside the tube. i am confused that what reading should be great.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Correct and exact pressure in a pipe" is a really tough concept. I would assume that "exact" meant zero uncertainty to infinite decimal points. Zero uncertainty is an impossible concept, we can get uncertainty very low, but not to zero. Displayed precision is another difficulty, my 0-10,000 psig bourdon tube just doesn't go to infinite decimal places.

In practical terms, every device has an uncertainty. For example if you have a 0-100 psig digital pressure gauge with +/-0.1% uncertainty, then every reading will be +/-0.1 psig and reporting a reading of 25.1234 psig (like most gauges will) is wrong--the reading is some number between 25.0 and 25.2 psig.

Sorry, but the world we live in doesn't really support "correct and exact" it is more about "good enough".

Now if you would state your problem is engineering terms you might get decent answers.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back