Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to mesh connected surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

julij

Industrial
Jun 7, 2010
PL
i have a problem with meshing surfaces. Let's say one surface is the main one. and now we have 10 perpendicular surfaces to the main one. every one of theses surfaces are touching the main one with one curve. and now when i am meshing the program doesn't know, that for main surface there should be nodes on the touching it curves. so after meshing we have eleven plates which do not have common nodes so they work as seperate elements. so my question is how to mesh it all so it works as one element - i did it so, that i cut the main surface with these all 10 surfaces - but is it the only way? can't i have this surface as one and to make mesh correctly?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

a crude way is to split the main surface into 10 (11?, 9??) subsurfaces that match the touching surfaces.

else i think you can mesh the curves and then mesh the surface with existing nodes.

Simply stich all surfaces in one "NonManifold Geometry", this is a great feature found in FEMAP V10.1 under "Geometry > Surface > NonManifold Add", now you can say "good bye" to discontinuity meshing problems.
Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48011 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB:

I would recommend learning how to use the meshing toolbox. You can project curves onto surfaces and match meshes very nicely. Modeling to a rounded grid can make things much easier than building in unnecessary exactness in object sizes, thicknesses. Mesh control is very important, so learn how to set the mesh checks, what they mean, and use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back