Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to mesh irregular perpendicularly touching but not through areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingcow1999a

Structural
Jul 29, 2010
US
The model is a pole base connection with stiffeners. The connection is composed of three parts, the baseplate, the pole and the stiffener. All three areas are contacting each other but not through each other.

Please see the attached files for parts description.

I create the areas for each part first. Then I wanted to use APTN, ASBA, and other Boolean operation commands to divide the areas into sub-areas according to the contacting lines between areas.
Using APTN, I can divide the one baseplate area into two areas with dividing lines at the bottom edge lines of pole side areas.
However, when I use the same command APTN to divide the baseplate by stiffeners OR the pole by stiffeners, it does not work. The message says “Topoligical degeneracy detected for APTN command. Try –“.

I tried using other commands such as AINA and ASBL, (Baseplate Area), (Stiffener Bottom Edge Line), I got the same error message.

Anybody have good solution/suggestion for this area partition and meshing problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back