Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to model a disc cam with mates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagei

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2010
US
I have a Excel spreadsheet where I calculate the x and y coordinates of the center point of the cam follower. The can is actually a conjugate (dual) can with two cam followers on an oscillating y shaped rocker arm.
I bring the path of the master cam in to ST3 using the curve from table. All this works fine, no problems.
So I have a cam blank and a closed path that is the cam follower center line.
If I draw the cam follower profile (a rectangle) on a plane and attach the center of the rectangle to the path point on the plane I can then do a swept cut around the path and generate the actual cam shape. Again this works fine.
The problem is when I go to the assembly I cannot do a can mate between the follower and the cam.
However, if I take my imported path, offset the path, and cut thru the can blank to generate the cam profile, then a cam mate does work in the assembly.
If I was only manufacturing a single can from the model, I would think either method would be accurate enough, but as I am trying to manufacture a dual can I have some reservations.
Has anybody else manufactured there own came with Solid Edge?
My thoughts now are to look at my cam design spreadsheet and book (Camco Can Design Manual) and perhaps see if I can calculate the cam profile points rather than the can follower center line points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back