Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to model a working spring. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentwings2

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2006
US
I have access to SW 2016 and a brand new powerful computer.

I'm modeling a retractable landing gear for a very large scale model airplane. The task is to show how it functions. So far I've got it all operating within its limits but I'd like to show how a couple springs really move. I've never really had occasion to do this and I've been away from SW for a while.

I can model the helical spring but I'd like to animate it. So how do I do this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I saw this concept done at SWW2013 in Orlando. Here is my own version of a spring that moves with its parts in an assembly. An actual helical spring cannot be animated due to the lengthy calculations required, however, if you want something that looks like a spring would look this is about as easy as it gets.

- - -Updraft

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=056ffdc8-979a-465e-898c-58c2b2eb27f6&file=Spring-Dynamic_Motion.zip
I couldn't get the zip file to open. I'm not very fluent with Dropbox. However I did get the YouTube to work. Pretty slick. I'll have to give it a test.
Thanks for the help.

Byron

Here is a spring model that I created.

to modify it to your requirements:
1) manage equations for:
spring dia, centerline
wire dia
and active coils

2) configure location of the plane named "other end of spring" to give the spring length for its:
free length
installed, max length
and installed, min length​

3) if you do not want ground ends: suppress the "Cut-Extrude1" feature

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a8e1c6ce-5e58-42ea-a712-8aa2cab2a741&file=spring,_compression_[mm].SLDPRT
I haven't played with this model lately but I did want to figure out how to mate the "Top Plane (end of spring)" and the "other end of spring" plane to my assemble and have it continuously update the variable associated with the location of the "other end of spring" plane. Then if the mating parts have a max min distance mate you could drag that component to it limits and have the spring update. THAT will be slick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back