Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to model conc filled column STAAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve101

Structural
Sep 27, 2003
GB
I have a 10m column, 1m dia 10mm thick. I need stiffen it by filling it with grout. How do I model that combined property? One member with the equivalent stiffness (not sure how) or model an unreinforced conc column and put rigid links to the steel column?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From

SSRC[20] proposed a modified elastic modulus that is the sum of the moduli of elasticity for the steel and concrete, with a reduction factor of 0.4 imposed on the initial modulus of the concrete to account for creep and tensile cracking. This has been adopted as a design recommendation in, for example, AISC[21]. Other authors have proposed summing the individual rigidities of each component material[25*], which generally matches better with experiments and is thus appropriate for representing initial axial stiffness in a linear or nonlinear analysis[15*]. Stability behavior of CFTs is summarized in ref.[26].

thanks. Yep, I had actually just tried that equivalent E x x I value from a Corus ref. for Design Guide for SHS concrete filled Columns.

Thanks for the AISC references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back